Summer is here and many people are traveling to new places. This is the case of a teenager, who was recently on vacation in Wales and who, against all odds, did something that was not on his to-do list: save the life of a dog. !
This inspiring act of kindness was shared by Jane Warner, owner of a 7-year-old Shih-Tzu named Charlie.
During a recent excursion in the woods of the Penllergare Valley, Charlie decided to chase some ducks. It was his first time doing it, and it quickly got him in trouble. Charlie jumped into the lake to chase after the ducks, but soon got trapped in the water.
“Charlie was getting further and further away and getting stuck in the reeds. You could see he was struggling to stay afloat,” Jane said.
Jane worried, but couldn’t pick it up: “I’m disabled, so I could never have swum to get it. I stood there, helpless, on the shore, wondering what I could do now.” Then suddenly, a stranger jumped into the water and started swimming after Charlie!
It was not an easy task, but the teenager managed to swim and reach Charlie. He freed the dog and brought it back to shore.
“Poor fellow was pretty shaken up after the fact too,” Jane said. “I think the swim was harder than expected and I’m really grateful to him for risking his own safety the way he did.”
Jane was extremely grateful: “I have no doubt in my mind that if Connor hadn’t gotten to him right away, he would have been dead,” she said. Jane shared the story on Facebook. She still didn’t know the boy’s name, but wanted to give him credit for his remarkable good deed.
“This young Scotsman is my hero!” she wrote.
But as the post went viral, she quickly learned his identity: Connor Telford, a 17-year-old from Dundee, Scotland. And she soon learned that this eventful day was her first visit to Wales.
“He lives in Scotland and arrived in Wales today, it was his first stop on his holiday at The Mumbles,” Jane wrote.
Needless to say, it was quite a hectic and exhausting start to the holiday: “It was the first day of Connor’s first-ever trip to Wales – and, oh my goodness, what a day it has been,” Shelagh said. , the mother of Connor’s girlfriend.
“He’s not a great swimmer, but he threw himself headfirst into the lake without worrying about his own safety. He came out scruffy, visibly shocked and physically ill – but he is recovering well from his ordeal.”
But according to her, the youngster recovered thanks to ice cream, and he was widely hailed as a hero online.
“Without this boy and all of you cheering him on and cheering him on to keep fighting, I would be telling a very different story,” Jane wrote.